A Borie is a dry-stone structure, that can range from the single-person stone huts spread across the Plateau de Calern (Alpes-Maritimes) to the Village de Bories at Gordes (Vaucluse).
Bories Explained |
Calern Plateau |
Caussols Plateau |
Caussols Plateau |
Hotels near Bories: |
In Beyond, the area around Forcalquier and the Lure mountains is well known for bories, and there are many in the Luberon and the area around Apt and Bonnieux. In the Alpes-Maritimes, shepherds still use them in the hills above Vence and Grasse, and they sit beside the modern telescopes of the CERGA observatory on the plateau of Calern.
Dry-stone huts, whatever they are called, can be found all over the world. In the Borie Village at Gordes, there are photographs of "bories" from Beaujolais in France, Corsica, Crete, Death Valley in California, Italy, Mexico, Peru, the Sinai dessert, Switzerland, Turkey and what used to be Yugoslovia.
A Beyond reader, who's a student of archaeology from the University of Malta, told us the Maltese variety are called "giren".
Have a look at our Bories Explained page for more information.
Provence Beyond's Bories Pages
• Borie Calern BaumeNorth [area map] - The Baumettes-North borie is half ruined, missing its top and with the doorway either tumbled in or blocked by fallen stones, but with very thick walls.
• Borie Calern BaumeNorth-Broken [area map] - This is a small borie in ruins, between the Baumettes-North borie and the Rockytop Cairn.
• Borie Calern Baumettes
[area map] - The single-size hut borie, "Baumettes", is located in the Les Baumettes area of the Plateau de Calern, about 2.5 km northwest of the CERGA observatory's Laser dome.
• Borie Calern Baumettes-Broken [area map] - Baumette Broken, like the Shelter borie, is an intentionally topless dry-stone shelter, not a true borie.
• Borie Calern CergaNW [area map] - Small borie only 250 m NW of the CERGA moon laser, intact but with a messy exterior.
• Borie Calern Funnel
[area map] - Funnel borie is in excellent condition, made of nicely fitted stones, and with a pair of angled walls of fitted stone leading like a funnel to the borie's entrance.
• Borie Calern Hut-Box [area map] - A completely intact little dome borie at the edge of a grassy doline, with picturesque rectangular enclosure beside.
• Borie Calern LaBaume-Topless [area map] - Small borie, intact except for a broken top, on a grassy part of the Plateau de Calern
• Borie Calern Loop
[area map] - Loop boire is half tumbled-down, but in the corner of a thick-walled oval corral enclosure. It sits on the edge of a grassy doline below a hilltop with a small rock cairn (Cairn-A).
• Borie Calern Notchside [area map] - "Notchside" borie has an interesting configuration, sitting sideways at the top of a narrow enclosure built into a natural "notch" of the rocks at the edge of a teardrop shaped doline.
• Borie Calern Pit-Top [area map] - Nicely shaped borie in good condition, sitting above a spectacular deep pit crossed by a narrow rocky land-bride on the Plateau de Calern.
• Borie Calern Roure
[area map] - Roure borie is a simple dome-shaped borie standing alone at the end of a doline, mostly intact, with just a few of the top-layer stones having fallen off.
• Borie Calern Roure-Topless [area map] - This borie is half in ruins, but the leaning doorway is cute and missing top provides a good view of the fitted stone on the interior walls.
• Borie Calern Ruins-Bassin [area map]
• Borie Calern Ruins-Copse [area map]
• Borie Calern RuinsGR [area map]
• Borie Calern Shelter [area map] - The "Shelter" borie on Calern Plateau is an intentionally topless dry-stone shelter, probably making in not a real "borie".
• Borie Calern Twinpeaks [area map]
• Borie Calern Woods-Broken [area map]
• Borie Caussols BBB
[area map] - This Plateau de Caussols borie, in very good shape, has an attached stone enclosure, partially tumbled down. It's located in an open clearing of a forested area.
• Borie Caussols CCC [area map] - This topless borie and an adjacent stone structure sits at the south side of the Chemin des Claps, the small road that runs along the south side of the Plateau de Caussols.
• Borie Caussols Homestead [area map] - This very nice double borie, one the southeastern part of the Plateau de Caussols, is on private property.
• Borie Caussols Maubert
[area map] - A very nicely shaped borie on the Plateau de Caussols, on an open ridge with a lovely backdrop of low hills and rocky fields.
• Borie Caussols Negre [area map] - This single-dome borie is in pretty good condition, sitting in a lightly wooded area along the southern part of the Plateau de Caussols.